Huang's Ancestral Hall
Huang's Ancestral Hall
Huang’s Ancestral Hall, built in the early 1800s, was the ancestral temple of a branch of the Huang family who immigrated from Tong’an to Kulangsu. It was the first southern Fujian traditional half-timbered folk dwelling among existing architectures. Clansmen had initiated a private school in this hall, and changed the name of the school to General Education Primary School after the Wu Hsu Reform of 1898.  It was open freely to all Huang clan children. In spite of the ancestral hall’s age, the stone slab on which is written “Huang’s Ancestral Hall”, the adobe wall, and the stone manger for feeding pigs remain.