Former Hope Hospital and the Nurses’ Residence
Former Hope Hospital and the Nurses’ Residence
Hope hospital was built by the American Reformed Church in 1898, with the Hope section treating males and the Wilhelmina Hospital treating females. John Abraham Otte, who designed and built the hospitals, assumed the first presidency and established a Medical School and Nursing School on Kulangsu. Dr. Otte contracted the pulmonary plague during the treatment of his patients and died in 1910. After his death,his Chinese students erected in the hospital courtyard a monument in memory of Otte and his great devotion. The memorial was inscribed on each side separately in English, Dutch, Latin, and the Southern Fujian dialect.