Former Kulangsu Water Supply Facility
Former Kulangsu Water Supply Facility
The Kulangsu waterworks was opened in 1923. In 1920, the Indonesian Chinese magnate Huang Yizhu initiated the construction of the Kulangsu waterworks, and in 1923, the company was officially named "Amoy Waterworks Limited". In 1924, a reservoir was built near Zengcuoan and water supply began in 1926. In 1927, two lower ponds with a capacity of 3,600 tons each and an upper pond of 50 ton capacity were built on Kulangsu. At the same time, Yizhu built equipment rooms and staff rooms for the waterworks. Water was shipped daily from Xiamen to Kulangsu and pumped into the reservoir. The project was designed by Lin Quancheng, an MIT graduate, and undertaken by the Siemens Company.